Just because you are eating healthy doesn’t mean you have to go without comfort foods. This version of stroganoff has all of the flavor and cream without the processed ‘cream of’ soups and is also loaded with vegetables. I used green peppers, mushrooms and spinach but feel free to substitute other vegetables. I was planning on using shredded zucchini (courgette) as well but I didn’t have any.
Just now because of my littlest one when I make this stroganoff I leave out the yogurt for a dairy free version. It still tastes great and if you are still looking for the creaminess you could always add some coconut milk or cashew cream in its place.
You can serve it over a bed of rice (white or brown) or if you can’t have rice you could serve it over a bed of raw ribboned or spiralized zucchini (courgette). Hope you enjoy!
500 g (1 lb) beef mince (ground beef)
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 onion, minced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 green peppers, diced
250 g (1/2 lb) mushrooms, halved and sliced
3 cups of baby spinach
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 cup beef broth
3/4 cup greek or natural yogurt
salt and pepper to taste
Parsley chopped as garnish
1. Brown the mince in a frying pan on medium heat, breaking apart with a wooden spoon until almost cooked through.
2. Add the onions and oil (depending on the percentage of fat content in mince, you may not need to add any additional oil) and saute on low until almost translucent about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and paprika and saute until fragrant about 1-2 minutes. Add in the rest of the vegetables and balsamic vinegar and continue to saute for about 5 minutes
3. Once vegetable are starting to become soft, add the beef broth and simmer until some of the broth has evaporated about 5 more minutes.
4. Turn off the heat.
5. To prevent curdling, you want the yogurt to be close to the temperature of the stroganoff before you add it in. To do this, you add some of the broth to warm up the yogurt before you add it to the pan. Make sure it is mixed thoroughly.
6. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Serve on a bed of rice and sprinkle the parsley on top.