Not only is Guacamole a tasty snack or addition to many a meal, but since its made with avocados it is super nutrient dense. Avocados are packed with lots of fiber, vitamins and minerals. But what makes this fruit so highly regarded nutritionally is its fat profile.
They are rich in monounsaturated fats which are linked with reducing inflammation as well as protecting against heart disease, diabetes, and possibly even cancer. Also, they are great if you are trying to lose weight because the high healthy fat content helps your body feel satiated so you are less likely to overeat.
In my house, we eat avocados regularly and usually in the form of guacamole. Here are a few ways that we like to eat guacamole:
- substitute for ketchup and mayo (which are both loaded with refined sugar) on hamburgers or sandwiches
- as a salad dressing
- as a dip for carrots, red peppers, rice cakes, tortilla chips, pita, etc.
- added into a burrito bowl (rice, beans, salsa, veggies)
- smeared on sourdough toast, topped with some tomatoes and sunflower seeds
- a spoonful on a baked sweet potato along with some black beans and pico de gallo
- along side any traditional Mexican food like tacos, burritos, or fajitas
Now that you’ve got a few new ideas on how to use Guacamole, let’s get on to the recipe. It literally takes 5 minutes and if you have kids, this is a perfect recipe to get them more involved in the kitchen because it involves mashing, squeezing and sprinkling spices. Little kids love this! Don’t get me wrong, sometimes if I’m entertaining or something I’ll spice up my simple guacamole recipe by adding some pico de gallo or just some minced onion and cilantro. But for everyday, when I’ve only got a few minutes, this is perfect.
5 Minute Guacamole
2-3 ripe avocados, diced
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 lime, juiced
1 tomato, chopped (optional)
Salt to taste
1. Mash avocados in a bowl with a fork or a potato masher.
2. Mix in spices and lime juice.
3. Salt to taste.
4. Mix in tomatoes and eat. You can store any leftovers in the fridge for a few days.
Sign up for my newsletter here to get more simple, delicious and healthy recipes delivered straight to your inbox every other week along with the best healthy tips for losing weight, increasing energy, nourishing your body and building sustainable healthy habits for you and your family! You will also be the first to hear about the launch of my upcoming individual and group coaching sessions.
If you have any questions or want to work with me, check out my individual and family health coaching page